BBO Discussion Forums: GIB Release Notes - updated with each new version - BBO Discussion Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB Release Notes - updated with each new version A place to keep track of GIB upgrades

#21 User is offline   jamegumb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-13, 09:49

Has anything changed in the last two updates to make GIB open more hands? Sure seems like its standards for starting the auction have declined.

#22 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-13, 10:46

really I find that it passes alot of hands that some people might open
so if you happen to open light in 3rd seat you can end up in the stratosphere.

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-13, 14:28

I don't think we've made any significant changes to the opening bid rules.

#24 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-13, 14:30

View Postdiana_eva, on 2012-March-13, 03:08, said:

If you mean the automated explanations displayed for each bid

I think he means something analogous to the detailed system notes:

http://www.bridgebas...ystem_notes.php

#25 User is offline   jvscibel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-16, 23:35

Any chance you might program them to actually lead the suit you open when they are on lead?

#26 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-17, 10:37

View Postjvscibel, on 2012-March-16, 23:35, said:

Any chance you might program them to actually lead the suit you open when they are on lead?

GIB's playing code contains very few rules, it's almost all done on the basis of simulations based on the bidding.

I find that it does often lead my suit, unless it has a holding in another suit that it thinks is better. Unfortunately, it often thinks that leading a doubleton of declarer's first suit is a good lead; it seems to be quite optimistic about being able to get a ruff before declarer can draw trumps.

#27 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-18, 03:43

V22 released Wednesday April 18

Main Changes:
  • A 1NT overcall in sandwich position (eg. 1C-P-1H-1N)) is now natural (15-17) by an unpassed hand, unusual otherwise.
  • GIB will be more eager in making weak 2 Major openings.

Some other Changes:

• Tweaked some explanations to improve accuracy.
  • GIB will no longer consider passing in Lebensohl after a new suit bid at 3rd level from partner (i.e. 1N – 2H – 3D – pass – ?).
  • Fixed issue where GIB would cuebid or bid NT with a natural suit, instead of making a natural forcing bid (i.e. 1D - 1S - pass - 3H).
  • 4th seat Double is now ignored and opener's rebid will be interpreted as natural (even if it is in one of the two suits promised by Double). However over a 4th seat sandwich NT, opener's rebid in one of the suits promised by the sandwich NT will be interpreted as a cuebid.
  • Example:
  • 1D – pass – 1H – Double (showing 4+S 4+C). Now 2C shows natural clubs.
  • 1C – pass – 1S – Double (showing 4+H 4+D). Now 2H show natural reverse and strong hand.
  • Pass - 1D – pass – 1S – 1NT (Sandwich NT by passed hand, showing 5+C and 5+H). Now 2C/2H will be cuebid showing 4+S and strong opening hand.
  • Fixed a bug where 2NT was incorrectly used to ask for the second suit after a Michaels cuebid promising both majors is made.
  • GIB's evaluation logic for making a 2C opening bid has been improved for unbalanced hands that cannot be opened 2nt, but are too good for a jump rebid in the opening suit.
  • After a 2NT opening and a transfer, GIB will now show another new suit only if he holds a better hand. Otherwise he will pass or bid 3NT.
  • You can expect GIB to be more consistent as both opener and responder in inverted minor sequences. With stoppers in all unbid suits, GIB will bid NT. With an unbalanced hand, GIB will now bid the closest new unbid suit to indicate a stopper there.
  • After a 2C opening, GIB responder who is able to make a positive response will also show his distribution better. Eg: 2C - 2H - 2S - ? Now GIB responder will bid his 2nd suit if he has one instead of just shooting for slam immediately.
  • GIB will be smarter after an invitational 2NT; he'll either rebid opener’s suit, or accept the invite.
  • Opener's responses after a cuebid showing limit raise have been improved.
  • GIB will now take losers into account when opening preemptive 4M in 1st and 2nd seat.
  • GIB used to rush into 3NT after a Stayman sequence with 8-9 HCP. Newly improved GIB will be smarter about using invitational 2NT first.

"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#28 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-18, 09:57

The first main change is really important...... very wd! I need to play some robot duplicate to get used to that lol. Robot duplicate is cheap and i can find the best strategy here, then play more "expensive" game ...

#29 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-18, 19:38

View PostRain, on 2012-April-18, 03:43, said:

GIB will be more eager in making weak 2 Major openings.

What are GIB's new criteria for these bids? Will the system notes and/or convention card need updating?
http://tinyurl.com/76p6h3q

#30 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 11:46

How about an FD card for GIB rules?

#31 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-20, 13:33

It's a little more liberal about the quality of the suit. Since neither the notes nor the CC goes into this level of detail, no changes are needed.

Turning GIB rules into an FD card is totally impactical. GIB's rules are based on pattern matching, FD is exact bidding sequences.

#32 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-20, 13:44

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-20, 13:33, said:

It's a little more liberal about the quality of the suit. Since neither the notes nor the CC goes into this level of detail, no changes are needed.

GIB's convention card says "normally good 6-card suit" and the systems notes say "Disciplined, with honors in the suit". Are you not able to define "a little more liberal" so that we know what does or does not qualify?

#33 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2012-April-20, 16:11

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-April-20, 13:44, said:

GIB's convention card says "normally good 6-card suit" and the systems notes say "Disciplined, with honors in the suit". Are you not able to define "a little more liberal" so that we know what does or does not qualify?

QJxxxx or better.

#34 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-20, 17:14

View Postgeorgi, on 2012-April-20, 16:11, said:

QJxxxx or better.

Thank you for that clear and specific answer.

#35 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-20, 21:54

[*]GIB will be smarter after an invitational 2NT; he'll either rebid opener’s suit, or accept the invite.

I don't understand this one. Is it opener or responder who bids the invitational 2NT in the sequences you're talking about? Does this mean that you've added "rebid opener's suit" as an option in addition to passing or bidding 3N, or that there are only two choices, neither of which is pass?

#36 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2012-April-21, 00:21

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-April-20, 21:54, said:

I don't understand this one. Is it opener or responder who bids the invitational 2NT in the sequences you're talking about? Does this mean that you've added "rebid opener's suit" as an option in addition to passing or bidding 3N, or that there are only two choices, neither of which is pass?

Responder's 2NT as invite and therefore how again Responder treats the rebiding one of mentioned suits previously.

In example:

1 - 1
2 - 2N
3 - to be clear NF and GIB won't simulate over this as trying to guess for "hidden" reserves.

etc.

#37 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-29, 21:53

You can expect GIB to be more consistent as both opener and responder in inverted minor. With stoppers in all unbid suits, GIB will bid NT. With an unbalanced hand, GIB will now bid the closest new unbid suit to indicate a stopper there.

Why not here? #7667 ACBL Robot Duplicate (12 Boards) - Matchpoints

#38 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-04, 13:37

Opener bids its cheapest stopper, regardless of strength. But responder only shows his stopper, or bid 2NT with both suits stopped (as in this case) with enough for game.

Georgi, why did you make this require 13+? And the rule for 2 has 13+ HCP in its criteria, and shows "forcing to 3NT", but doesn't show 13+ HCP. Since GIB mostly ignores the "forcing to" part of the specification, saying it's forcing to 3NT doesn't mean much.

#39 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-May-04, 13:48

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-04, 13:37, said:

Opener bids its cheapest stopper, regardless of strength. But responder only shows his stopper, or bid 2NT with both suits stopped (as in this case) with enough for game.

Is it not standard to bid 2NT with both suits stopped and not enough for game and to bid 3NT with both suits stopped and enough for game?

#40 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-04, 14:02

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-May-04, 13:48, said:

Is it not standard to bid 2NT with both suits stopped and not enough for game and to bid 3NT with both suits stopped and enough for game?

That's how I play it. That's why I asked Georgi why he wrote the new rules this way, to require GF strength for both 2{SP] and 2NT.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users