• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you bid this?

#1 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2015-January-08, 23:43

My bidding got deservedly critiqued by oppo after this board, but I really had zero idea what to do at the table.

1C was a clubs or balanced style in a 5CM context.
1D was a transfer to hearts.

Lacking anything intelligent to do after 2D I just bid 4H and that made (3 imps in), but 6C and 6H both have play but I wasn't sure how to get there.

Bids that occured to me

• Start with 3D? I felt like that probably asks for a stopper for 3NT, and I'm not sure I know anything else if partner bids 3NT at this point.
  • 3S is surely a splinter, but I hardly have 4 trumps (though, of course, if I'm bidding 4H anyway...).
  • 3C is clearly NF and my hand is currently GOLD particularly if I can arrange to declare, so that feels bad.
  • 4C.. I'm not sure what 4C is. Something good though, but I'm not sure it suggests I have hearts.

Without interference, 2NT would have been 3 hearts 6 clubs and a big hand (or another handtype, but whatever), but with interference it sounds a lot like 17-19 balanced with a diamond stop to me, and while my hand is good, that is not what I have. Also the huge tank up to this point meant bidding 4H was pragmatic, but I'm not sure I should be doing.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-January-09, 00:46

I have this neat convention called the "support double" which applies here.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2015-January-09, 01:26

mgoetze, on 2015-January-09, 00:46, said:

I have this neat convention called the "support double" which applies here.

HA. Yeah, good point, though, again, I don't like with the bidding - they rate to have a 9 card spade fit right? I guess doubling and backing in with clubs is the right solution.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-January-09, 03:43

Playing good-bad 2NT, this is a no-brainer 3. Without that 3 might feel an underbid but it's still reasonable (and what I'd bid)

I don't think the hand is golden in support of hearts because you might lack entries to setup the clubs. Really, if dummy is forced at trick 1, you'll have a hard time making something out of the club suit.

As for support doubles, I refuse to play that convention, as I think it's inferior.

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 05:14

Agree 3C is an underbid. 4C should be 4-6 in the round suits and you're not strong enough for 3D-then-4H which should show a slam try, nor do you have enough trumps to make a 3S splinter. 2NT should be a balanced hand as you say. So that leaves only X, then raise a heart rebid to 4H else bid 3C.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 08:56

Cthulhu D, on 2015-January-09, 01:26, said:

I guess doubling and backing in with clubs is the right solution.

This would be my plan.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-January-09, 09:31

I don't play transfer responses but I would assume that if I did then, as has been suggested, X should be three card support and I can't think of why I wouldn't do that. In particular, if I were going to bid on in hearts then this seems to be the way to do it.

To put it another way, I don't see this as different from 1C-(Pass)-1H natural -(2D) and I don't see why I would not make a support double there. It's true that a common problem with support doubles is that AQx is a lot different from xxx but still I think I start with my three card support.

Am I missing something?
Ken

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-January-09, 10:34

Cthulhu D, on 2015-January-08, 23:43, said:

My bidding got deservedly critiqued by oppo after this board, but I really had zero idea what to do at the table.
1C was a clubs or balanced style in a 5CM context.
1D was a transfer to hearts.
Lacking anything intelligent to do after 2D I just bid 4H and that made (3 imps in), but 6C and 6H both have play but I wasn't sure how to get there.
Bids that occured to me
  • Start with 3D? I felt like that probably asks for a stopper for 3NT, and I'm not sure I know anything else if partner bids 3NT at this point.
  • 3S is surely a splinter, but I hardly have 4 trumps (though, of course, if I'm bidding 4H anyway...).
  • 3C is clearly NF and my hand is currently GOLD particularly if I can arrange to declare, so that feels bad.
  • 4C.. I'm not sure what 4C is. Something good though, but I'm not sure it suggests I have hearts.
Without interference, 2NT would have been 3 hearts 6 clubs and a big hand (or another handtype, but whatever), but with interference it sounds a lot like 17-19 balanced with a diamond stop to me, and while my hand is good, that is not what I have. Also the huge tank up to this point meant bidding 4H was pragmatic, but I'm not sure I should be doing.
IMO
  • Double = 10. Providing it's not penalty.
  • 2N = 7. Even if this is ambiguous, both possible meanings are strong, so it should be forcing.
  • 4 = 9, Should imply a fit because it bypasses 3N.
  • 3 = 8. Space-consuming, uninformative, and vulnerable to pre-emption -- but otherwise fine :)
  • 3 = 6. But setting hearts as trumps is premature. If partner has some clubs, then contracts are likely to play better than contracts.
  • 3 = 4. Dangerous underbid

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users