Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with Mac Sur Unable to log on

#1 User is offline   andraszab 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-May-10, 10:44

Since I switched to Mac Sur about 3 weeks ago I am not able to log on BBO: When I press the log in button all the time I see a yellow box in the right lower corner announcing, that "Log in failed, too many players might be on, or I am not connected to the internet". As I can log on with no problems via my Windows laptop, these can not be genuine reasons. I stopped all firewalls, antivirus apps and extensions, but still not connection possible. Can anyone help please?

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-May-10, 15:23

Big Sur has pretty much destroyed my iMac.
The history of computing seems to represent a battle between software engineers and hardware engineers.
Whenever computers become a bit faster or have more storage, Parkinson's law calls for software engineers to fill the space available.
The most well-known example is when the Apollo astronauts landed on the moon using a custom-designed computer operating at the outer edge of its capacity. https://bit.ly/HowToLandOnTheMoon

Everything worked fine until they were getting close to landing. Aldrin then made an extra command that intermittently overloaded the operating system, causing a soft reset.
He did this a couple of times and then realised it might be safer to wait until they were parked and the seat belt signs were off.

Of course, Bridge is slightly less dangerous but still almost as annoying.
My next computer will be a custom made desktop with Windows and petabytes of RAM.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-10, 17:23

I just noticed that when I prevent the Mac from entering Sleep mode, it seems to run a bit faster.
There does seem to be a specific problem with connecting to the BBO server from where I am.

Next to the spot where my name is on the HTML app, 4 bars indicate the strength of the connection.
ATM, I only have 1 bar, and the program is very sluggish.

I just ran a speed test (Ookla) which gives me ping=6 Down=60.81 and Up=18.68.

Other things are working fine, so I suspect it is some intermittent problem at the BBO end.

Turning off the Sleep mode - see above - does seem to help.
Of course, the trouble with intermittent problems is that they're - intermittent.

Closing the Browser (Chrome for me) and running CleanMyMac also helps.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-May-12, 14:17

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-May-10, 17:23, said:

Next to the spot where my name is on the HTML app, 4 bars indicate the strength of the connection.
ATM, I only have 1 bar, and the program is very sluggish.

You're in Australia, our servers are in the US. Network delay is going to give you sluggish performance.

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-12, 15:10

View Postbarmar, on 2021-May-12, 14:17, said:

You're in Australia, our servers are in the US. Network delay is going to give you sluggish performance.

I'm pretty sure that the delay in packets travelling to the USA from Sydney isn't the (main) problem.
Although intermittent slowness does occur.

I am aware that during the stock market frenzy a couple of decades back, Brokerage companies paid extra money to have their computers closer to the main server in the belief that their trades would happen faster.

In this case, the throttle seems to be the sleep mode setting.
I had it set to turn off after 1 hour of inactivity.
As soon as I turned off this "feature", everything returned to normal speed.
All of the programs on the iMAC were running excruciatingly slowly: now not.

It could be a coincidence, but BBO was and is working fine on all my other devices.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users