BBO Discussion Forums: passing Jacoby transfer after interference - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

passing Jacoby transfer after interference

#1 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-August-26, 10:37

I have a practice of passing Jacoby transfers if it has been interfered and I only have 2 cards in the suit. In such case, if responder to the NT opening has a 6+ card suit, he will bid it himself afterwards.

There was a hand today which the majority of tables completed the transfer after interference despite holding only 2 cards in the suit, and they all landed a bad contract:

There were 5 tables today. 3 tables used weak NT and all of them started the bidding as above. 1 ended up at 4 and 2 ended up at 3. All got 8 tricks only.

One table using a strong notrump ended up at 1 - (/) - 1 - (2) - / - (/) - 2= which got the top, and my table, playing strong notrump also, had it overcalled by 3 which went -1.

If I used a weak notrump, in such case I would not complete the transfer after it was overcalled by 3, because I only had 2 cards in the suit.

What's your practice in handling Jacoby transfers if it is interfered?

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-26, 10:43

The opponent would get to play 3H doubled.
1N-P-2H-3H-
P- P -x -P
P -P
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-26, 19:14

only accept a major suit transfer at the three level after opps. interference with a opening 1NT hand that has 4 card support and the maximum points for opening 1NT, though distribution points can now be added such as a worthless doubleton in the opps suit. exactly similar to a "superaccept" to a transfer based on the law of total tricks LOTT. otherwise decline. responder can have a poor hand for the transfer.

#4 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-26, 20:56

Deciding to compete to the three-level with no guarantee of any value from partner and with only a known seven-card fit seems lunacy. I agree with LBengtsson that I would only consider bidding 3S with four-card support. And there would be hands with wasted values in hearts or soft defensive values where I would pass even then. It's important to remember that East knows a lot more about West's hand and still has the opportunity to call. So a 3S bid should say something specific in addition to "balanced, 12-14 with 2+ spades".

#5 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-August-27, 09:46

When the opponents double I would normally play pass=2, bid=3, jump=4. Certainly would not compete after an overcall on 2 cards. Might occasionally compete on 3 and a suitable hand. If partner had transferred to hearts and the opponent had bid 2 I would bid 3 on the West hand at love all

#6 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-27, 10:23

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-August-27, 09:46, said:

When the opponents double I would normally play pass=2, bid=3, jump=4. Certainly would not compete after an overcall on 2 cards. Might occasionally compete on 3 and a suitable hand. If partner had transferred to hearts and the opponent had bid 2 I would bid 3 on the West hand at love all
Over a double of a Jacoby transfer I play "Pass = (at most) 2, redouble = 3 but no guard in their suit, complete the transfer = 3 and a guard in their suit, 2NT = 4(+), a guard in their suit and a maximum, 3M (our suit) = 4(+), a guard in their suit, minimum, other bids show 4(+) but deny a guard in their suit.

On the given auction it is not wise to interfere. Partner has expressed a desire to offer a major suit on the 2-level, but this does not show a wish to compete on the 3-level. Especially not opposite a doubleton.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users