• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

competitive dilemma

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-March-27, 15:11

Benji Acol, 12-14 NT, IMP pairs, no inverted minors, so 2 is a weak raise. Your call?

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-March-27, 21:24

A good hand to post, AL78. I am tempted by the safe 3 - no imagination rebid, and the not so safe 2NT rebid. I choose 2NT and if partner is very weak they may remove to 3. This hand is strong with its controls, and if partner has the Q then there should be 7 tricks already there. I have noted that partner has not bid 1 but neither has East overcalled 1 or 2.

The trouble is partner may have a weak hand such as Ax xx xxxx Qxxxx where 5 is possible. But I still think you need to show your strength with a 2NT rebid. Bidding 3 here is losing bridge imo.

As for looking for penalties by passing and hoping partner reopens with a X is a fantasy. You might come away with +100/+300 when missing game.

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-28, 03:48

2NT looks right.

The entire auction is fishy - we have two short suits, and nobody is bidding them. I'm not sufficiently familiar with Acol to answer the following questions:
  • Would partner prefer 1 to 2 when holding 4=4 or even 4=5 in the minors, to cater to us having a 15-17 NT (or do you play Acol with a strong NT)?
  • Since 1 shows 4, 2 can be based on a 4-card suit? If so, does partner have 5(+) unless exactly 3=3=3=4?
  • Would partner bid 1NT on some balanced hands with club support? Can we therefore infer that partner has a hand unsuitable for declaring notrump?

This board seems to be particularly difficult. I can't tell whether 3NT or 5 might be on, or even if the opponents might be able to make 4. Worse, some hands that make 3NT cold will probably not accept an invite (say, Axx, Kx, xxx, xxxxx).

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-28, 04:25

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-March-28, 03:48, said:

2NT looks right.

The entire auction is fishy - we have two short suits, and nobody is bidding them. I'm not sufficiently familiar with Acol to answer the following questions:
  • Would partner prefer 1 to 2 when holding 4=4 or even 4=5 in the minors, to cater to us having a 15-17 NT (or do you play Acol with a strong NT)?
  • Since 1 shows 4, 2 can be based on a 4-card suit? If so, does partner have 5(+) unless exactly 3=3=3=4?
  • Would partner bid 1NT on some balanced hands with club support? Can we therefore infer that partner has a hand unsuitable for declaring notrump?

This board seems to be particularly difficult. I can't tell whether 3NT or 5 might be on, or even if the opponents might be able to make 4. Worse, some hands that make 3NT cold will probably not accept an invite (say, Axx, Kx, xxx, xxxxx).

This is a new partnership and I haven't played with her long enough to fully work out her bidding style, but my guesses are as follows:

1. Most likely is partner would raise with support and holding the other minor.
2. Yes the raise shows at least four cards. Parther could be 2344 or 2254 shape. If she is 3334 I'm not sure if she would respond 1NT or 2, I guess the former.
3. As above, I would only expect her to respond 1NT if she is 3334, so yes she could be balanced or semi-balanced and raise. I cannot infer she dislikes the idea of declaring in NT just from the raise.

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-28, 05:02

So partner likely has length in diamonds and shortness in hearts. That's good news for 5 but not 3NT. If only we could figure out whether partner has some spade values, I'd be happy to blast to game.

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-28, 05:10

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-March-28, 05:02, said:

So partner likely has length in diamonds and shortness in hearts. That's good news for 5 but not 3NT. If only we could figure out whether partner has some spade values, I'd be happy to blast to game.

Here is the full deal:

If you would blast to game, you did much better than me. 5 is there on a big crossruff.

#7 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-March-28, 12:02

5 clubs must be a better shot I think, after all you need !S shortness or something of value in !S. Even K 3rd in !S may be enough while in NT may be no help at all. The K of !D may also be enough with the expected !H lead. NT bidders perhaps in a pairs game but I dont beleive it will prove to be a winner often enough.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users