BBO Discussion Forums: distributional monster over weak two - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

distributional monster over weak two

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-July-02, 01:25

A
AKQ97
AKQT4

Teams green against red. Partner passes and RHO opens a weak 2. What do you bid?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-02, 03:45

I have a sneaking admiration for 3 - bid 3N with a stop then 5N pick a slam if partner shows one (he should know to pass 5N with Qxx). I would double with a 3 suited hand and leaping michaels if I had hearts so this must be minors probably with 2 small spades.

Otherwise 4N minors and play at the 5 level.

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-July-02, 03:57

4NT seems the right bid though it takes all the bidding space away. I smiled at Cyberyeti's suggestion for imagination though :rolleyes:

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-02, 04:18

4 showing both minors, though in this case partner is unlikely to have a positive hand so we still have to guess whether to go to the 6-level opposite a signoff.

#5 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-02, 05:02

Thanks for the responses. I like the suggestion from Cyberyeti which never crossed my mind. I bid 4NT which I thought partner would interpret as showing a strong hand with both minors.

Unfortunately partner wasn't sure and responded 5 as if I was asking for aces and we played there going down one. The hand is somewhat interesting in that if we play in the nine card diamond fit, we still go one down, so the absence of a common wavelength ultimately didn't cost.

In 5, the defence cash the first two spade tricks, then a third round promotes East's jack.

-11 imps when the other table lands in 3NT+1. I suspect North doubled, and what South does I guess depends on whether or not they were playing Lebensohl. I guess if South bid 3, or goes through a Lebensohl 2NT, North is cueing spades and South bids 3NT.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-02, 08:50

I think you will make 5N on any lead other than a heart. Basically on a passive lead you play a spade cutting defensive communication (spade lead from E does the same thing), W either gives you your 11th trick in spades or never gets the other top spade and you can give up a club.

#7 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-03, 05:28

I did find out how one pair found 3NT. After the weak two, North bid 2NT which in their system shows a strong takeout, and South raised to 3NT.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users