• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Optional Stayman

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-June-11, 02:48

Yke Smith and Toine van Hof write in the recent issue van IMP about optional Stayman, meant to find 3NT despite a 4-4 fit if both hands are 4333 or with stuff in the doubleton and a poor trump suit.

1NT-2
2*-2**

*Can have a 4-card major in a hand more suitable for 3NT
**Pubbet to 2NT, now responder can show a 4-card major with a hand suitable for a suit contract even if opener's hand is not.

Hands with four spades and a longer minor bid directly 3m after the 2 rebid, while hands with four hearts and a longer minor go through the 2 bid in response to opener's 2.

Any thoughts? I obviously has some disadvantages when responder is weak (the 2 follow up to Stayman is not available, and it is less safe to pass the 2 rebid when responder is 4441 or (43)42, so I probaby wouldn't want to play it in a weak NT context. But for strong NT pair it may be worthwhile?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-June-11, 03:43

Hi,

if you are concerned about the 4333 shape, there are already methods that show this hand type,
with the 4 card major, if I remember correctly it is usually responder, the visible hand (in 3NT).

One method uses 3H / 3S by responder to do this, so the question is, what do they gain versus this
method.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users