• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summer 2012 NABC Thread

#61 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-23, 11:07

My team didn't fare well in the Roth Swiss final (4 wins, 72 VPs out of 160), but we got a 20 IMP swing against a good team. Both tables were in 7, with the same low trump lead at both tables. My partner made it (versus Colchamiro-Ornstein), but Glubok went down 2 vul. The leader at his table made a remark comparing his lead to the one from the last board of the GNT, not realizing that declarer was on the team that lost due to that board. It sent Brian into a fit of laughter, he lost concentration, and also couldn't believe that the lead was from 4 small, so he misplayed it.

This same guy once told Audrey Grant that she should write a bridge book. So later in the Swiss, after he finished a round against Jerry Helms, we were surprised that he didn't tell him that he was good enough to write a bridge column. :)

#62 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-23, 16:45

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-July-23, 10:46, said:

The 1NXX hand seems to have been more than 20 IMPs worth of swing (-17 versus plus 8?), and we really don't know the emotional toll on it. It certainly had an emotional effect on us kibs.

However, I believe the whole problem was whether Weinstein was privy to the same information dummy had during the auction. He can see five diamonds in dummy. If Weinstein (North) could assume that East would have run to 2 unless East knew West only had 2 of them, then the rest would have been easy.

Weinstein would have then cashed the Diamond Ace as well, setting up Levin's Queen or Jack (whichever it must be) at trick 3 before continuing with the second spade.

Levin had a less obvious solution: to lead the diamond Queen at trick 5 or six when he realizes he will be squeezing partner.

Are the play records for the 4th quarter available somewhere ? I was watching at the other table on an iPad, so it was kind of hard to look at results from the other table and by the time match finished the movies disappeared quickly.

Thanks,

Sathya
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#63 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-23, 16:51

Try this website for vugraph archives.

#64 User is offline   VMars 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 21:26

View Postbarmar, on 2012-July-23, 11:07, said:

My team didn't fare well in the Roth Swiss final (4 wins, 72 VPs out of 160), but we got a 20 IMP swing against a good team. Both tables were in 7, with the same low trump lead at both tables. My partner made it (versus Colchamiro-Ornstein), but Glubok went down 2 vul. The leader at his table made a remark comparing his lead to the one from the last board of the GNT, not realizing that declarer was on the team that lost due to that board. It sent Brian into a fit of laughter, he lost concentration, and also couldn't believe that the lead was from 4 small, so he misplayed it.

This same guy once told Audrey Grant that she should write a bridge book. So later in the Swiss, after he finished a round against Jerry Helms, we were surprised that he didn't tell him that he was good enough to write a bridge column. :)

Hilarious.

#65 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 22:40

View Postjallerton, on 2012-July-23, 16:51, said:

Try this website for vugraph archives.

Is there a known way to fix the mismatch of commentary to boards being shown in the Vugraph archives? Commentary I am reading while ostabsibly at the Helgemo-Helness table in set 1 of the finals is talking about Jenny Wolpert.

#66 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-24, 02:31

View Postbd71, on 2012-July-23, 22:40, said:

Is there a known way to fix the mismatch of commentary to boards being shown in the Vugraph archives? Commentary I am reading while ostabsibly at the Helgemo-Helness table in set 1 of the finals is talking about Jenny Wolpert.

I'm seeing a combination of commentary on the current action and commentary on boards from a completely different set, referring to Multon and Zimmerman as if they were at the table when in fact they sat out that set.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#67 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-24, 10:11

As the two above have stated (restated), yep. That is what happens. I wonder if we all get the same unrelated chat when bringing up a particular hand, or whether it is just a random bug.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#68 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-24, 14:26

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-July-24, 10:11, said:

As the two above have stated (restated), yep. That is what happens. I wonder if we all get the same unrelated chat when bringing up a particular hand, or whether it is just a random bug.

I think the content of the saved files is just wrong sometimes, so would be the same for everybody. It is not just commentary - there can also be a mismatch between the hand (including bidding and play) and the final contract and result.

Fred said a while ago that they are aware of the problem, but it is difficult to fix and not a high priority. I don't really understand how it can be that difficult to fix, but Fred should know I guess.

It is worse for those of us in a different time zone.

#69 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-24, 16:23

bd71 said:

View PostGreenMan, on 2012-July-24, 02:31, said:

I'm seeing a combination of commentary on the current action and commentary on boards from a completely different set, referring to Multon and Zimmerman as if they were at the table when in fact they sat out that set.

In my experience:

• the bidding and play records in the vugraph archives are correct (or at least in accordance with what was recorded by the vugraph operator at the time).
  • the commentary record in the open room relates to the correct table (sometimes the first few comments relate to the previous hand, but this is normal for the live commentary too);
  • the commentary record in the closed room contains comments from various random sets combined.

In set 1, Helmego/Helness were in the closed room.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users